Friday, September 19, 2008

Today with the AEP


Today, I'm setting up a men's dinner event for my church.  I'm guessing that you may often get "drafted" to do similar things.  As usual, since it's an event for the church, there's little budget.  (I don't know what it is with God's people, but why are they so constantly cheap!)

We expect about 200 men and I'm setting tables to seat 8.  Since it's a men's dinner, I didn't want to go with flowers and "pretty" colors.  But on the other hand, I didn't want to go with cammo & moose heads either. SO - Time to go shopping and see what's on hand to solve this scenario, all for under $200.  

AN AEP TIP:  I learned long ago to simply go and see what was available and on-hand, rather than dreaming up something and then NOT being able to find it, or having to make it. Save yourself the stress & time by using "off-the-shelf" items!

I had to go to a store that would have enough items to cover my 25 tables, plus a little extra for my under $200.00 budget... I chose HOBBY LOBBY for this time as they often have great 50% off sales.  

Budget dictated using plastic table covers. Wanting more masculine colors, I passed on all the neon bright (plastic) table cloths I saw and instead chose a mix of shades of brown, tan & purple.
I remembered reading along time ago somewhere that brown relates to purple somehow (who knew!) I found a napkin printed with a brown & white "batik" type pattern.  Really pulls together the mix of table cloth colors.

ANOTHER AEP TIP;  MOCK-IT UP! It helps if you'll layout your items so you can get an idea of how they'll all look together.  Sometimes, I've done this on the floor of the store!  This time, I was able to mock-it up in my shopping cart.

Tables covers are set! Now - what for a centerpiece?  I had thought about using some little potted fall cabbage plants (purple, white & green) but found something totally different while walking the Hobby Lobby aisles.  TWIG BALLS!  A big variety of balls made out of wound-up twigs and sponge-y stuff.  All in the browns & creams that would work with my setup.  AND - They were 50% off!!!  I AM BLESSED!  I'm adding a few cheap votive candles to finish out the setup.

I'm posting a photo of the elements I'm using for the setup.  
Maybe you have a men's event or family dinner for a man that you need to setup.  I hoping these colors and ideas might help you out.
What do you think?  What setups have you done for men's events?

No comments: