Friday, September 26, 2008

CREATIVITY


WAAYYY back in the early 80's, I sat in the first day of my "Intro to Music Business" class at Belmont Unversity taught by Dr. Bob Malloy.   "I  want to ask each of you something" Malloy said.  Then one-by-one, he asked every single person in the class "Are you creative?

A few students hem-hawed around, afraid to sound arrogant with their answer. "I think so", "maybe" said some.  Several said "no".  About 2/3 of the class stepped up and boldy answered "yes".  Malloy waited until the entire class had responded before he said "those of you who answered no or maybe should change your major and look for another career."  "If you're not creative in this business - you won't make it".  BOLD! Gutsy - and TRUE.

Since I moved from full-time music to the world of events & production, I can say the same holds true for those fields as well.  Those who are not creative struggle with the work.  In my past corporate work, I've seen many "event planners" hired who interviewed well with the "suits", but had not a lick of an idea when it came to developing their work.

I've sat with those folks sharing ideas over the years, trying to help them out.  Most all them have asked me (with perplexed looks)  "Where did you get those ideas"  "How do you come up with this stuff".   I simply reply "I thought it up. (you moron!)"

So - Where does creativity come from?  There are many, many studies on this.  After all these years, my crass, gut-level take on it is either you have it, or you don't.  I think it's a gift.  I've had many ask me to teach others "how to be creative", and I've usually turned them down.  I don't feel that you can teach groups that may not have the basic gift needed to succeed in that area.  I DO however, feel that creativity can be cultivated. Some people may have a beginning or dormant creative gift that needs to be nurtured or awakened.

I think nurturing your creativity is about FILLING YOUR TANK.  I'm talking your mental creative tank here, not your car!
It's been proven that there are few truly original ideas.  Most creative people are masters at filling their tank with existing ideas that they can put in their "mental blender" and whip up something that comes off and fresh and original.  There's a great article on this very thing in this months FAST COMPANY Magazine.  You can read it online here.  The article stresses how fresh input is crucial to helping you take your thinking into new areas.

Here are few things I do to fill my creative tank:
  • I walk through malls & stores "absorbing". - I look at what kinds of displays there are, how did they build them, what colors do I see most, what kind of music is playing in the background.
  • I visit high-end hotel lobbies. - What kind of furniture did they use, what kind of spaces are they making for you to want to stop & linger, what colors, what smells, what music.
  • Restaurants - What kind of experience (beyond the food) are they building for you?  How does it make you feel?  Do you want to relax or hurry up and get out?  What are the trends in the foods they serve?
  • Movies - What are the vibes they are creating for you?  How cohesive and strong is the story? What kind of emotional connection have they created. Does the actor "become" the character.
Let me encourage you as event & production people to regularly fill your mental tank.  Get out - see and experience stuff around your town and in your travels.  Mentally file it away and then call on it when you need to create something new.  Mash the experience up with other ideas you have and create your own thing.
People will marvel and say "How do you come up with this stuff".  Which you can simply reply "I just thought it up (you moron!)"

Go and create!


No comments: