Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Timing & Talent


I've been meaning for awhile to post about my take on the Olympic Opening Ceremonies, The Democratic Ntnl. Convention, and the Republican Ntnl. Convention. 

Now RELAX fellow AEP readers! I've told you in earlier posts that this is NOT a political blog.  My point today is about observing these HUGE events with the eyes of an event planner.  Observing the critical timing, and volume of talent on display. 

As you watch these things unfold in the comfort of your living room, do you give a thought that behind the scenes there is an ARMY of people prepping, cueing, calling the shots, directing what pops and when!?!? And at the heart of it all, there is 1 Event Planner / Producer / Director calling the shots.

OLYMPIC OPENING
The Olympic Opening just astounded me!  I was BLOWN AWAY by the amount to creativity on display in the planning of this event.  It was like Cirque du Soleil on steroids. (at least to me!).  My life's wish is to actually be hired to sit in a meeting, spout out stuff like "I see people suspended at different angles running around a giant projection globe that rises from the stadium floor" - and have the people on the other side of the table LOVE it, GET it, and actually want to PAY for it!

The underlying thing for me with the Opening was the importance of timing and the huge volume of talent that had to be tapped to produce the show.  I think I heard that it took 8 months of rehearsal with the various groups of people that were on the field.  There were 2008 performers in each segment of the program.  I believe they said over 15,000 total were in the cast.  

As an event planner, imagine thinking through the timing of logistics of moving that many people from their pre-show staging area to getting them on the field, in the right place, in costume, with whatever technical thing, harness, or prop they would have needed - IN TIME for the camera.

STAGGERING!  I was again AMAZED at how smoothly, flawlessly the cast moved in the program. Not a dead moment in the thing.  Smooth overlaps, wonderful visuals to keep the audiences attention while the staging changed.  It was brilliant to incorporate the set and cast changes as a part of the show.

All said, in my previous event work with large groups, choirs, acting casts, etc., It was all that I could do to get 30-50 people on stage, on time, on cue, and get them to take the issue of timing seriously. I wish I had a tip for you on this, but other than cracking a whip and getting ugly backstage - I don't.  

The other issue for me with the Olympics was talent.  HOW did they find over 15,000 people that had the rhythm, dance skill, acting skill, sheer talent to pull off such a huge thing so well?  

Most of the productions I've done have been volunteer based.  Now - my vol's are dear folks that mean well and give their all to the program, But - I've struggled at times to find 5 people that could keep a beat and remember all the dance steps.


With the Olympic opener, I was amazed at the opening drum number - 2008 guys seeming to all have GREAT rhythm & timing - and dance skills to boot!
Do you have any tips on seeking / auditioning talent for producing shows?

So much of choosing talent and planning timing from the producer's standpoint is about going with your gut.  I think alot of it is about choosing / casting the right person you think is teachable for the role. Sometimes that's more important than their sheer talent alone.  

If a performer is used to "wowing" everyone with a certain set of talents, they may not be very flexible if you wish to take them in a slightly different direction for the show that they may not be used to..

DNC / RNC
Just a quick thought about the political conventions - 
I was also impressed with the sense of timing and camera shot with both these events.  The way they get all those cards out to the floor and up at just the right time to make the camera shot.  There are definately directors on the floor running, yelling and cueing the crowd to make that happen.  

I was also impressed by the use of giant projection at these events.  Looks like the DNC may have used alot of DL-2's (giant hi-def, moveable  video projectors) and the RNC looked like some sort of hi-def jumbotron behind their speakers. 

LET'S TALK
As an event planner or show producer, what are some tips that you can share about talent and timing?

No comments: