Thursday, October 9, 2008

A Word 'Bout N'awlins





The AEP is glad to be home from the N'awlins (New Orleans) mission trip.  My church sent about 60 men to help in a variety of projects.  Some helped rebuild a church, some did drywall, some worked in a community food pantry.  

I - the AEP - LAID TILE!  I spent the weekend on my knees laying tan 18" X 18" tiles for our homeowner "Kathy" (shown at the left).  

My team and I really enjoyed watching her reactions as she saw her home take a giant leap toward her living in it. I worked with my teamates: Wade Conway, Alan Pickerell, Troy Jennings, Tyler McNutt and a young dude named "Chase". We all became good buddies as we mortared, grouted, and cleaned.
I had never laid tile before - but now - HEY, if you need some tile laid, the AEP needs some work! :)
It was good to pray with Kathy and help her get a few steps closer to living back in her home. 
Let me ask if you would pray for her too.  She's been taken advantage of by a couple of contractors that owe her work for money she's paid them.  There's alot of scamming going on in New Orleans these days as folks try to hire contractors to help them rebuild.

An Event Idea I picked up while in the "Big Easy" was "SNO-BALLS".  Basically, grown-up snow cones made with shaved ice and a huge variety of flavored syrups.  Some of the more popular flavors were yellow-cake batter, chocolate mint, white chocolate chip and orange dreamscicle.  They even had some custom syrups called "batman" (orange mango), "Joker" (mixed berry), "Robin" (?) and other character-named flavors. You could also get your sno-ball with a scoop of vanilla soft-serve buried inside. It would be great fun to have these at a more informal event.  If you have a local contact for shaved ice, you could easily make this work out.






No comments: