Friday, October 10, 2008

Where it all began for the AEP



Today is my dad's Birthday.  Eugene Hassell turns 80 years old.  

Born in 1928, he grew up poor in rural Kimbrell, Alabama. His dad (James Cleon) was a WWI verteran.  One of the "Fighting Wildcats" (but I'm not sure of any details other than that.) His mom (Myrtle Iva-lou) was of Irish descent from the clan of McDougal.  His grandpa - my great-grandpa lived to be 107 years old.

My dad worked hard all his life.  He still does today.  He's currently restoring his 1952 Ford Crown Victoria.  It was the first new car he ever bought.  And - he still owns it!

Dad taught me the value of a job done well.  Especially if it was for someone else.  He taught me to stick with it - even when you wanted to quit.  He toughed out 35 years of hard work as a steel worker, AND 35 years working in the National Guard before retiring from both.


Dad was in charge of supplies for the National Guard.  That means organizing and inventory of thousands of items for his unit. He is a natural organizer.  Never loses anything.  I think my organization and attention to detail came genetically thought him. I never asked him to teach me to organize.  I just watched him do it my whole life. It's certainly come in handy and been part of my success in the various jobs I've held.

I've had my moments of not understanding my dad, but I know that he loves me and I love him.
This weekend, the Hassell's are taking a road trip to Noccalula Falls State Park in Gadsden, AL to throw a little party for my dad.  After that, I'm going to spend the week with my parents at their house and do some painting for them.

Happy 80th Birthday Gene Hassell!  May you have many more!
Love from your son, David

No comments: